Skip to main content

WFRP Beginner Game - Initial Thoughts

 


I ran the first half of the starter set adventure last night. It was a significant change compared to what we're used to in our ongoing ACKS game.

My first thought is that the system is very fast. Surprisingly so. Everything is resolved with a single d% roll, with nothing to look up. I fumbled a little with how toughness stats are derived, and I found the beginner sheets to be less useful than the normal character sheets. In the future, I might "rebuild" the starter characters onto a normal sheet so we can easily see how things fit together. As it stands, there are no advanced skills, and the math is mysterious in the beginner set.

I was also a little bothered by the linearity of the adventure; it heavily prescribes and assumes the actions of the characters, with zero room for player agency. I have really good, imaginative players, as we've seen from the last YEAR of play in ACKS. If I were to run WFRP as a campaign, I would make every effort to separate the situations from the game's plot so the players can operate autonomously. I'm just not sure what kind of structure I could use for such a thing. I'll probably look into the Call of Cthulu games for tips on running investigations.

To be fair, the adventure as written has lots of room for side quests and intrigue. Because I only planned to play this adventure for 2 weeks, I had to compress the game somewhat to achieve that goal. If we had 4 weeks, I would be free to use all of the supplemental material from the back of the adventure book.

I was also keenly aware of the cognitive load required to operate the game. Lots of NPCs, plotting and roleplaying, to say nothing of keeping up with a brand new system and answering questions. It felt like old times, and my brain is tired as a result. This doesn't bode well for future play, as there are some weeks that I'm completely exhausted by the time D&D comes around, but I'm still able to play because it doesn't take any planning.

XP Advancement Scheme
I loathe GM fiat for XP determination, so I did some googling and found a post on reddit that had some good ideas. Here's what I'll try:

  • 100 exp for just showing up
  • 0 - 100 exp for roleplaying and having good ideas
  • 0 - 100 exp for completing plot points or doing heroics

TOTAL 100 - 300 experience per session, averaging around 150 per gaming session.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploration and Elementals: Hot Springs Island Review

  Overview Hot Springs Island has big aspirations. I'm not just talking about the 270 locations, 87 NPCs and 300 new treasures. The scope of the story is big. Multi-planar, in fact.

OSR Megadungeon: Dwimmermount Review

This is a great, weird book, if you're willing to do some work.

Let's Talk about Teleportation Circle (5th Level)

Today, we're putting airlines out of business.