Skip to main content

Putting it All Together


This is part of a series, which starts right here.
 
I'm a decent GM. I'm been running this kind of game since 2010. I have a comfortable pattern that leads to games that are generally fun, and don't require a lot of prep.
My interest in hex crawls was meant to expand my skills and provide a different kind of experience for my players. I don't know if this game was more fun than my other style, but it was very different. It was also a ton of work to make the game run the way I wanted it to. I could have easily taken what's in the book and applied it to my default style of DMing, but it wouldn't have been the same game.
 
There's something that fascinates me about having a consistent system applied to a vast, open-world game. I could run this game many times for many different groups, and it would be different every time. Now that I've got everything created, I could easily dust off my PDFs, my printed maps and my homemade DM screen and run it again in minutes. In some ways, it's like a board game. I don't have to think or create much of anything, other than remembering NPC names and relationships. I could make a little Hot Springs kit and keep it with me, meaning I'm always ready, willing and able to run D&D.
 
More than anything, this thought excites me.
 
We will meet again, Hot Springs Island. We will meet again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exploration and Elementals: Hot Springs Island Review

  Overview Hot Springs Island has big aspirations. I'm not just talking about the 270 locations, 87 NPCs and 300 new treasures. The scope of the story is big. Multi-planar, in fact.

OSR Megadungeon: Dwimmermount Review

This is a great, weird book, if you're willing to do some work.

Let's Talk about Teleportation Circle (5th Level)

Today, we're putting airlines out of business.